Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Giving

Rescued Duck, image via Farm Sanctuary
In the midst of the holiday season, I wanted to share some of my favorite organizations that could use our support.  Since becoming a vegan, I have learned a lot about Farm Sanctuary, a fabulous place in New York and California that provides rescued farm animals with a safe, cruelty free place to live.  I love looking at the Animal Spotlights on their website... the stories are so moving, and they serve to reinforce the positive impact a cruelty free lifestyle can have.  I fell in love with this little guy:
 
Bob Harper, image via Farm Sanctuary

He fell off a truck that was transporting him from one factory farm to another, when a kind-hearted motorist picked him up.  He was super underweight and malnourished, and the motorist cared for him and then contacted Farm Sanctuary so he could move there and have a safe, happy life.

It is so easy, and truly affordable, to become involved with the amazing organization.  A contribution of $20 or more entitles you to a one year membership, which includes a newsletter, discounts at their Bed & Breakfast, and the ability to visit the Sanctuary at any time.  This is an excellent Christmas gift for any animal lover you know (or, of course, yourself).  I am hoping to visit Farm Sanctuary next summer, so I am definitely going to make a holiday donation. 

image via Girl Effect

I was first introduced to Girl Effect when Kimia posted about it, and once you watch this you have to get involved (sorry the video is so big... you may want to go to YouTube to watch it):




We are so lucky to have such privileges in this part of the world, and imagine how much better this world would be if women everywhere were given the same opportunities.  It is so easy to give, you can text GIRL to 50555 to automatically give $10, or you can donate online, either a onetime gift or a recurring monthly donation.

Also, I wanted to share a pact Chelsea and Joanna made.  For a week they are refraining from complaining, and I am accepting the challenge this week.  Think how much more time we would all have to be happy if we did not waste any time complaining :)  I will let you know how it goes!

What organizations do you love to give to?  I am always on the lookout for new missions to support!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing! and i'm totally in on the no complaining pact :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about either of these, thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. I am waiting patiently for a new entry. How was your Christmas? Did you do anything special?

    ReplyDelete